Thursday, July 30, 2009

Better Bindings - Who knew?

I took an awesome class with Holice (can't remember his last name) at the Charlton Sewing Center last night. I learn so much in 3 hours! I've always done bindings the same way for the last 20 years. But there have always been few things that are just NOT quite right with them. So NOW I have the tricks that Holice taught us last night and now I can't wait to do my next binding. I told him that I was starting a fan club for him call "Hooked on Holice". He's a very sweet man in his early 60's (if I had to guess) with a wonderful teaching style.

The three big take aways were how to measure the seam allowance based on the width of the binding that you want to end up with. For example, if you want a 3/8" binding, use a 2 1/2" strip of fabric to start with and use a 3/8" seam. I had been using a 1/4" seam so things never really lined up quite right. #2, you need to have the battle of the soldiers to finish off the ends of the binding so that they meet perfectly EVERY time. (I'll explain this more when I post pictures tomorrow night). #3 if you make a mistake, rip it out and analyze what went wrong. My strategy has always been, oh well, better luck next time. :) Not very effective for improving for the next time. The good news is, that even though I am self-taught, my technique is not ALL bad. I felt good about that. These tips will make much more sense, and likely be more interesting, when I have pictures....coming soon I promise!

Another exciting thing came out of taking the class was that I met some really lovely ladies and actually one man was in the class too. He was a beginner and very sweet, also an older gentleman looking for a new hobby. So cute. Anyway this one woman that I was sitting next to invited me to join her quilt guild. They meet once a month for show and tell and always have a guest speaker. She said there are about 200 members! I was shocked at the size. I had no idea there are that many quilters in the area. I CANNOT wait for the first meeting!

The stippling is almost complete on my fall quilt. I have been getting up at 5:00 a.m. and working on it for about 30 minutes each day (that's all my poor shoulder can handle right now - and I have to get ready for work after that. Have to keep the money rolling in so I can keep quilting!) I only have one more corner to complete and then I can bind it and show you all the steps! Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Godspeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

So tickled that you stopped by to visit my quilting kitchen! I treasure and respond to every comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...